Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Late Nights in Michigan



Over the summer I spent a good amount of time photographing in Michigan. This is one of my favorites for the vibrant colors. This was about 20 minutes for the exposure because it was inside of a parking garage at about 11pm. Unlike most of the rest of my recent images it has a slight angle rather than the the strait on deadpan mirror symmetry and the window opens up the flat plane in an odd way showing that we are standing inside looking out rather than the opposite (my typical viewpoint).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nate,

It's nice to see some new work. When reading your description, you say that "we" are standing on the inside. And since I know you, I know the other person that the "we" includes. Ha.

All of your writing on the piece is spot on. The colors play such a prominent role in describing the space (as it always does in your best work). And as you mentioned, the way that you photographed and arranged this particular space is new for you. So I think that's your challenge: how can you compose things differently while remaining within the scopes of this particular project?

October 23, 2009 11:20 AM  
Blogger Nate Mathews said...

"we" You mean my unpaid assistant? I also was referring to the viewer. That question about making my images less formulaic has been rolling around in my head since the summer and I think it was you who asked me about that. Speaking of which, I would like to get some feedback once I have time to get this new batch of images printed.

October 23, 2009 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home