Monday, February 22, 2010

What is the soundtrack to your work?


In a recent conversation with some of my students I was asking them to describe the mood of their work.  I wanted them to not only describe the mood they felt when making the work, but also the mood they feel when looking at the work, and the mood they want the audience to feel.

An analogy of a soundtrack was refereed to during our conversation.  a soundtrack like a recipe of multiple moods and images.  One student described their work in reference to exact songs that have the same emotions as the images he/she makes.   The final body of images becomes an album rather than a single greatest hit that is more powerful because of the variety of emotion being mixed into the greater set of images. 

I often listen to music while making work and I have come to realize how much music can affect my process of shooting, productivity, and my ability to think/process a space (My best images are made when listening to music with similar mood to my images ).

While I often listen to a lot of punk while making work, I think that a lot of music by these artists would be in the soundtrack to my work:  Cat Stevens, Coldplay, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Tracy Chapman, and a lot of Smashing Pumpkins.

What is your soundtrack?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Smiths, Joy Division, Xiu Xiu, The Cure.

February 23, 2010 1:13 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What, no Nickelback? =P

Lately, I've been listening to Tokyo Police Club, Feist, Phoenix, Final Fantasy, Arcade Fire, and, of course, Wu-Tang vs The Beatles while I'm editing photos.

February 25, 2010 12:37 PM  
Blogger Lily Mayfield said...

Nate - I'm surprised and impressed that you mentioned Tracy Chapman - love her! Lately I've been listening to so much Laura Veirs that it is the constant soundtrack in my head.

When editing at home, I throw on several records on my stacker record player and make my way through some of the albums in our collection. Lately I've been listening to an eclectic mix of Bill Evans, Rita Marley, Tom Petty, Aretha Franklin, Hall & Oates, & Van Morrison.

March 30, 2010 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home